Work Permits

Home Work Permits

Closed Work Permit: LMIA based Work Permit

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • The name of the employer you can work for
  • How long you can work
  • The location where you can work (if applicable)
  • An LMIA is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada that allows an employer to hire a foreign worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

Before you submit your work permit application, your employer must give you:

  • A copy of the positive LMIA, and
  • Your job offer letter or contract.

Open Work Permit

An open work permit can be issued to a foreign national only under one of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemptions.

A foreign national may apply for an open work permit outside Canada, at a port of entry or after arrival to Canada, as per program requirements.

Types of open Work Permits

There are two types of open work permits:

  • Unrestricted (allowing foreign nationals to work in any occupation and location)
  • Restricted (restricting the occupation or the location)

Open work permits may be issued with the following:

  • Pccupational restrictions, depending on the applicant’s medical status [R185(b)]
  • Location restrictions, depending on the category (such as a bridging open work permit under the provincial nominee class)

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • Are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  • Are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • Have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  • Applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • Are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • Are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • Are under an unenforceable removal order
  • Are a temporary resident permit holder
  • Are a young worker participating in special programs

Extension of Work Permit

Overview of Extension of Work Permit – In order to work for longer period of Time in Canada, Work Permit Extensions can be filed. Applicants can apply this extension if

  • Want to extend your work permit
  • Need to make changes to the conditions on your work permit, such as:
    • The type of work you can do
    • The employer you can work for
    • Where you can work

Extension of Spousal open Work Permit – In order to file an extension of a Spousal open Work Permit, your spouse or common-law partner should have

  • Have a valid study permit or a work permit and
  • Are should be a full-time student or should be employed in a firm at NOC O, A or B Category job.

Employer-specific work permits –You need to apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit if:

  • Your job is extended
  • There are changes to your current job, such as:
    • A change in your pay
    • New responsibilities
  • You’re offered a different job
  • You want to work for a new employer

You can’t start working at a different job or for a new employer until you get your work permit with the new conditions.